Dentures / Overdentures
What are Dentures?
Would Dentures be suitable for me?
If you have a few or all of your teeth missing, then Dentures would be a suitable solution to fix this. A denture is made from hard-wearing material that mimics the look of teeth and gums to give your mouth a natural appearance. Your denture will be made to fit snugly on your gums and you will be able to remove it for cleaning.
Are Dentures easy to eat and chew in?
When you wear dentures for the first time it may take some getting used to when eating and chewing. When you first start wearing dentures, you should try to eat soft foods cut into small pieces and chew slowly using both sides of your mouth. You should avoid eating sticky sweets or hard foods with sharp edges.
Importance of good dental hygiene with Dentures
Keeping your mouth clean is just as important when you wear dentures. It is important that you take extra care in your hygiene regime so that you can avoid bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease. You should brush any remaining teeth, your gums and tongue every morning with fluoride toothpaste to prevent tooth decay and gum disease. The hygienist will be able to show you how to best take care of your denture and gums and will tell you about specialised brushes you can use to do this.
What are Overdentures?
Overdentures are removable dentures for people with a few or no remaining teeth. They
are secured by dental implants with a fitting which allows the denture to ‘clip’ onto.
Would Overdentures be suitable for me?
If you have loose or ill-fitting dentures, then Overdentures would be suitable for you. Your
ability to eat and speak may become affected if you have loose or ill-fitting dentures. Due to
advances in dentistry, there is now a procedure whereby your denture can be fixed to your
jaw with dental implants. This treatment, known as implant overdentures or denture
stabilisation, offers patients with dentures a more permanent solution and can improve
quality of life significantly. You will be able to enjoy your favourite foods again and feel
comfortable smiling, safe in the knowledge that your dentures are staying put.
The Overdentures treatment procedure
Here is how the Overdentures procedure works:
• You will have a minor procedure to place implants into your jaw.
• Once the implants have integrated with the bone and surrounding tissues for a period of time, your dentures are placed on top of the implants through a range of special fixtures.
• This means your dentures can still be removed for cleaning, but will stay put once in place.
Life Benefits of having Overdentures
• Enjoy a natural-looking smile and improved confidence in public.
• Experience less irritation of your gums caused by dentures and you don’t need to take your teeth out at night.
• You can eat, chew and bite without your dentures falling out or having to stick to a soft food diet for the rest of your life.