I’ve Got Several Teeth Missing – What Are My Options?
As a dentist in North Harrow we naturally deal with replacing missing teeth on a regular basis. Missing natural teeth doesn’t just affect the appearance of your smile but can also cause the following problems too:
- Difficulty eating – It’s very difficult to eat when you’re missing teeth. Chewing and biting is a real challenge without the help of teeth and your gums will become sore and tender from bearing the force from the chewing action. As a result it’s little wonder that patients with missing teeth soon find that even eating their favourite foods becomes a chore.
- Bone loss – When teeth are lost the tooth root is lost too. This might not sound like a big deal but tooth roots serve to stimulate the jawbone and without them the bone begins to deteriorate and loses stability.
- Speech problems – Speaking clearly is hard even with just one missing tooth.= let alone several.
Since we deal in general and cosmetic dentistry in North Harrow we’re able to offer a variety of replacement options for missing teeth. So let’s look at them in more detail:
Dental bridges – These have long been a tried and tested method of replacing one or several missing teeth. The bridge containing the false tooth or teeth is attached to natural teeth on either side of the spaced area, so the gap caused by the missing tooth or teeth is closed and biting functionality restored.
Dentures – Full or partial dentures are another popular method of replacing several or all missing teeth either in the upper or lower jaw, or both. Typically they rely on a combination of suction and dental adhesive to keep them securely in place.
Although these options are suitable methods of replacing missing teeth they don’t address the issue of bone loss which occurs naturally when teeth are lost. Thus a person will find their jaw bone starts to change shape leading to adjustments to their dentures or bridge.
An alternative to both of these methods is dental implants in North Harrow and we’re certainly seeing a huge rise in their popularity. Dental implants are embedded into the jawbone and fuse with the surrounding bone to offer a stable platform to hold a crown, bridge, or denture. Because they mimic a tooth root they also prevent further bone loss from occurring and help to preserve the facial structures.
Implants can be used to replace just one tooth or several teeth and because they’re a stand-alone treatment they don’t rely on adjacent teeth for support. They’re exceptionally versatile and can be used to
- Replace single individual missing teeth
- Replace several missing teeth in a row with an implant supported bridge
- Replace all a patient’s teeth with dentures that are clipped into place onto strategically placed dental implants.
All of these methods replace both the form and functionality of the teeth producing a smile that looks natural and attractive.
If you have a missing tooth or have lost several teeth then we can help with dental implants in North Harrow or other options of tooth replacement. Why not take advantage of our free consultation where we can discuss all of your dental options. Call Imperial Dental Care today on 020 8427 2264 to schedule your consultation or book online. We’ll soon have you smiling with confidence.