Together Dental Logo

Why Do Dental Implants Fail?

If you’re considering dental implants in Southend then you’re probably well aware that the success rate for this dental procedure is relatively high at well in excess of 95%. However, that still leaves 5% of all dental implant placements which fail. So why is this?

dental implants in SouthendSometimes an implant fails for no apparent reason. The dentist will have done everything right and the patient has followed the post operative instructions to the letter, but still it fails. However, there are unfortunately, instances where the dentist is clearly at fault, and has made mistakes which could have been avoided.

The different types of dental implant failure

Infection

If the soft tissue surrounding your dental implant feels sore and looks very red, then there’s a good chance that it is infected. There may also be a bad smell or taste coming from the implant site, or the implant feels loose. Some of the causes for infection could be:

  • Sub-standard fixtures – Cheaper brands of implants don’t always offer a precise fit meaning that possible loose screws or gaps can attract bacteria.
  • Crown is too large– Some dentists try to cut their costs by using what is termed as a ‘one size fits all’ crown. While a large crown might not sound like a big deal the resulting pressure on the tissue can cause swelling and infection.
  • Bacteria at the implant site – This can actually happen during any surgical procedure and isn’t necessarily the fault of the dentist. It can be cleared up with antibiotics and because of the risk of bacterial infections, surgeons will often give a patient a course of antibiotics before or after surgery, as a routine measure.

Loose implants

Loose implants can be caused by several factors. Sometimes a dentist trying to cut costs may place an implant into an area where there is insufficient bone structure to hold the implant in place. This often happens in the case of denture wearers who over time have lost a lot of bone as it resorbs into the body. In instances like this, a bone graft is normally necessary to increase the width, height, and depth of bone, although occasionally mini implants can be used which don’t require as much bone.

It could be that a Southend dentist doesn’t know how to do a bone graft or they’re taking a short-cut so that they can offer a more attractive price for the procedure. Rest assured that we don’t do this at Southend Dental Care!

Other causes of loose implants include infection after surgery, failure of the implant post to fuse with the surrounding bone, and cheap implants.

Misplaced Implants

There have been a few horror stories of implants being placed where they shouldn’t be such as in nose or sinus cavities. Sometimes they’ve been placed where they’re touching nerves, causing the patient to experience numbness and discomfort. These misplacements could all have been avoided with the use of 3D scans and computer imagery.

Dental implants in Southend are considered the most natural looking and permanent replacement for missing teeth provided they are placed by an experienced dentist. Knowledge and skill in placing implants only comes from years of post graduation study and isn’t something that can be learned in a weekend course. Here at Southend Dental Care Dr. Adeel Ali is highly trained and mentors other dentists in the field of dental implantology, so you know you’re in safe hands. If you’d like to learn more about dental implants or find out if you’re a suitable candidate then why not make a consultation by calling 01702 465000 or book online at www.southenddentalcare.co.uk. We look forward to meeting you.

Refreshing Dentistry